RealTime Writing Coaching
The Write Site now offers RealTime coaching as an alternative to written coaching sessions. RealTime coaching might be right for you:
- if you learn by talking through problems
- if you learn by guided practice
- if you are an ESL student or have higher order writing concerns, such as thesis or paragraph development, or problems with structuring an argument.
What You Need to Do RealTime Coaching
- An internet connection, preferably high-speed.
- A microphone and speakers for your computer (preferred) OR a telephone with a speaker or ear jack. Many computers have built-in speakers and microphones.
- Adobe Flash Player version 10.1 or greater. (See download site below.)
- You may make up to two 30-minute appointments per week, provided you leave at least two days between appointments.
- You must submit the paper you would like coached to the Writing Coach Submission Drop Box at least 48 hours before your coaching session; if the paper is not submitted on time, the session could be canceled.
To Submit a Paper for RealTime Coaching
- Arrange an appointment time by email with a coach. If you know who is coaching your paper, contact the coach directly. If you don't know, contact the WS Coordinator. See the list of email addresses below.
- Deposit your assignment in the Writing Coach Submission Drop Box AT LEAST TWO BUSINESS DAYS before your appointment.
- If you are doing RealTime coaching and/or using Adobe Connect for the first time, go to https://www.adobe.com/content/dam/acom/en/products/adobeconnect/pdfs/VQSG-Participants.pdf and read through the short Visual Quickstart Guide for Adobe Connect.
- If you do not have Adobe Connect version 10.1 or greater, go to http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/ and complete the free download before your session.
- Within 24 hours of your Real-Time coaching appointment, you should receive an e-mail with an invitation and a link to an Adobe Connect meeting. If you do not receive this link, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- On the day of your coaching session, log into the meeting room using the link provided in your invitation.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, contact Linda McCloud-Bondoc, Write Site Coordinator, at 1-866-603-9521 between 0900-1700 MST.